You may be asking yourself, ”Why do I need coaching?”. Well the short answer is that everybody could do with coaching. Even coaches have coaches to hold them accountable, move towards their own goals and to have a sounding board. A coach is somebody who is there to help and support you to achieve your goals and to get from where you are to where you want to be. Whether you are a top business person, unemployed, sports person or a house wife.
People like Sir Richard Branson, Sir Alan Sugar, professional sports men and woman, to mention only a few, all employ the services of a coach. There are many areas of life where there could be a coach / coachee relationship. Including and not limited to:
- Personal coaching /life coaching.
- Business coaching /Executive Coaching.
- Group coaching /Team Coaching.
- Career Coaching.
- Relationship Coaching.
- Confidence Coaching.
What is the role of a Coach?
A good coach will help you in all areas of your life:
- Hold you accountable.
- Ask the questions to help you move forward.
- Help you to move outside your comfort zone to attain personal fulfillment and balance.
- Identify your needs, values and goals. Rating there importance in every area of your life.
- A life coach will help you set and achieve goals based on your own personal values and beliefs.
- Help you to achieve more than you would if left to your own devices.
- Acknowledge your skills and personal strengths.
- Help you to live your life to the full by understanding what is important.
- Help you to be solution focused instead of focusing on problems.
- Help you to create steps and actions in a time based plan.
- Help you to reflect on what is working and what is not.
- Help you to stay motivated and focused by maintaining your vision.
- Review your reasons for doing the things required to achieve your goals.
- Maintain a positive attitude, free of internal barriers and interference.
- Help you to build self-esteem and hold onto beliefs that empower you.
- Provide an objective viewpoint without judgment or a hidden agenda.
- A coach is there to offer you consistent support and encouragement
- Help you to install a achievable goal in your future.
How do you know which coach is the right coach for you?
Firstly, make sure the person is qualified to coach you. Coaching is still an unregulated market and a lot of people offering life coaching services have no qualifications to do so. They may never have owned their own business, or not done any studying to become a coach. After all, you would not go for brain surgery if the guy with the scalpel has never operated before.
So ask the person you are considering as a life coach or a business coach, for their credentials. Which organizations they are accredited by and who they trained with. That being said, just having a piece of paper does not make you a great coach either. You should first sit down for a coffee with a potential coach to both get a “feel” for each other. Just as some coaches are not right for some clients, so also some clients are not always right for the coach. You must feel comfortable with each other and clearly understand what is expected of each other before you enter into the relationship. There needs to be trust and respect from both sides.
How long does coaching last?
The duration of a coach/client relationship depends on the situation and the client. It could be as short as a few sessions for life coaching or could last for 6-12 months in a business coaching relationship. The reason you might work with a business coach for at least 6 months is because it can take a period of time before change and performance can be evaluated properly as business processes take time to implement. I would not advocate coaching relationships last for much more than 12 months, unless there was a specific need or reason for it to last longer. The client must not become reliant on the coach and only use the coach to get through a specific period of time or “plateau”.
Coaching sessions typically take place either weekly or every 2 weeks on a face to face basis, although with the right technology, sessions can now be done remotely. This is more the case when the coach and the coachee are in different parts of the country, or even different countries all together.
Only you can decide if you are ready to be coached. You have to want to do it and you need to be open minded. Open to new ways of thinking, new ideas and new possibilities in all areas of your life.
Our clients also benefit from the fact that we incorporate various modalities, including, Hypnosis, NLP and Time Line Therapy® in our coaching sessions. We can also do a full personal breakthrough session with our clients in which we help the client to get rid of limiting decisions, limiting beliefs, negative emotions and show them how to create a compelling future, etc.
So get in touch today. Let’s have a FREE chat and explore how being coached may benefit you and if we are a good fit.